The backdrop is the relentless push towards eco-friendly transport, with electrification and now the allure of autonomous vehicles. Experts in both engineering and material sciences, GKN's evolving towards a future predicated on software defined solutions and complex data-analytics.
As more components and systems in a vehicle's powertrain, morph into the electric and digital sphere, the group has to act and think like a technology company.
These changes never take place against static competition. New competitors pepper the landscape, squeezing margins. There can be pressure to set up ops closer to customers. And there's the double-whammy: a need to innovate across legacy portfolios and systems, whilst inventing a new generation of tech.
GKN is one of those rare businesses that has a capacity to re-invent itself, to meet new challenges – managing disruption by shaping the future.
Working with the automotive systems group, we’ve been helping reposition the brand through customer centres and exhibition stands at tier one automotive shows around the world.
When developing an experiential brand startegy, some guiding thoughts have been:
- The consumer is closer than you think
- Suppliers (like GKN) are becoming the drivers of innovation
- Innovation is a narrative in its own right
- Innovation is becoming the brand driver for car marques (GKN's customers) too
- No one is in the game alone - the ecosystem is where value is created
- For talent, GKN is competing with start-ups and tech companies